Prospective Marriage Visa or Partner Visa

If you want to bring your Filipina lady to Australia permanently, then basically you have a choice between these two visas.

Australian Prospective Marriage Visa

This is also called a Fiancee Visa, or sometimes called a Prospective Spouse Visa, or a PMV. In the Migration Regulations it’s a Subclass 300. Fiancee Visa is a fair term, because that’s what it is. It’s a visa that allows you to bring your fiancee to Australia, where you must marry her within 9 months and then apply for an onshore Partner Visa (Subclass 820). Applying for the Subclass 820 later is a fairly simple process.

Australian Partner Visa

This is also called a Spouse Visa, or sometimes called a Spousal Visa or even a Marriage Visa. If the couple are in a de facto relationship, it could be called a De Facto Visa. In the Migration Regulations it’s a Subclass 309.

You apply for this one if you are already married, or if you are in an existing de facto relationship for 12 months or more. You can also apply for it before you marry, provided that you understand they will not grant it until the marriage has taken place. You need to be in a relationship that is genuine and continuing, and to the exclusion of all others. The visa allows your Filipina wife (or Filipina partner) to travel to Australia and to continue to live with you.

Which one?

Is one easier than the other? Is one cheaper than the other? Does one of them have a higher refusal rate than the other? The answer is a big NO to all. They are very very similar visas, and they cost the same to apply for. Our fees are the same, and so are the Government Visa Application Charges.

So why one or the other? Fairly simple. Where do you want to marry? Or where is it practical for you to marry in? If our clients want to marry in the Philippines, then Partner Visa it is. If they don’t, and want to marry later? Then Prospective Marriage Visa it is. There’s really nothing more to it than that!

Your reasons for where you wish to marry are you own, and we make a point of not interfering. Marriages in the Philippines are a lot of fun, and obviously it’s a special moment for a Filipina bride to be walked down the aisle in her family Church by her dad. However they also involve a lot of paperwork and 3 – 4 weeks time to get everything done in. Not everyone can afford that. So give it some thought and discuss it between yourselves. Down Under Visa are happy to help you either way.

And we suggest that you use a Registered Migration Agent who specialises in Australian Partner Visas and Australian Prospective Marriage visas from the Philippines. Most experienced Migration Agents specialise in their own areas of expertise, and experience with a culture and with the documents and bureaucracy of a particular country makes a significant difference. Please visit

Leave a comment

Filed under Australian Visa Applications, Fiance Visas, Partner Visas - Offshore, Partner Visas - Onshore

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s